Airplanes are responsible for 10% of the carbon footprint of the US. Recently the news reported on a new “ion plane” that could revolutionize the industry…but can it actually? James brings in a paper from MIT researchers detailing their new propulsion system and we get to the bottom of the real science.
Grad Student Highlight: Anna Sheppard shares her research on electric propulsion for spacecraft!
Questions or comments? Reach out to us:
You might also like these episodes!
- Episode 49 · Was Stonehenge built using pig fat?
- Episode 24 · How can 3D printed filters improve chemotherapy?
- Episode 15 · How hard was the Insight landing on Mars?
- Episode 14 · Is paralysis a thing of the past?
- Episode 53 · How does an artificial tongue taste whiskey?
- Episode 7 · Magnetic fields can blow up your lab
- Episode 3 · Saturn is whistling to Enceladus