It seems everyone and their mother watched the InSight lander touching down on Mars this past monday, and it was impossible to turn on the TV without hearing that the landing phase is a big challenge. But while the news did a good job telling us that it’s a daunting problem, they didn’t impress just how hard it was to actually solve. Charlie brings in a conference paper by the NASA engineers who made the Mars magic happen.
Grad Student Highlight: EL Meszaros (@iastranger) from Brown University shares her research!
Want to landing InSight yourself? Check out the game here.
Questions or comments? Reach out to us:
You might also like these episodes!
- Episode 90 · What’s inside a Martian meteorite?
- Episode 25 · How did the Curiosity rover weigh a mountain on Mars?
- Episode 9 · Can we terraform Mars?
- Episode 2 · How to find water on Mars
- Episode 49 · Was Stonehenge built using pig fat?
- Episode 24 · How can 3D printed filters improve chemotherapy?
- Episode 18 · How does an ion plane actually fly?
- Episode 14 · Is paralysis a thing of the past?
- Episode 87 · Did Oumuamua come from a destroyed planet?
- Episode 85 · Why is Uranus losing its atmosphere?
- Episode 82 · Why do gray whales strand during solar storms?
- Episode 81 · What has InSight discovered on Mars?
- Episode 79 · Why do extragalactic “fast radio bursts” repeat
- Episode 73 · What's OSIRIS-REx doing at asteroid Bennu?
- Episode 70 · Does Europa actually have water plumes?
- Episode 69 · Why does Enceladus have "tiger stripes"?
- Episode 60 · Nobel Prize edition: what was the first exoplanet?
- Episode 59 · Is "Planet 9" actually a black hole?
- Episode 58 · How is the darkest black created?
- Episode 47 · How can you measure the expansion of the universe?
- Episode 42 · Did supernovae make us walk upright?
- Episode 39 · Are moonquakes reshaping the Moon?
- Episode 34 · How do you image a black hole?
- Episode 32 · Does space affect male and female astronauts differently?
- Episode 29 · Is Titan's organic atmosphere coming from its core?
- Episode 19 · Does negative mass explain dark matter?
- Episode 13 · Is Oumuamua an alien spacecraft?
- Episode 8 · Can you hear meteors?
- Episode 3 · Saturn is whistling to Enceladus