It’s long been known that going to space can have negative effects on the health of astronauts. Space is a harsh environment with too much radiation and too little gravity. There are cardiovascular implications, vision problems abound, and future reproductive issues are a particular concern. A major area of research for space agencies is meticulously checking up on the health of people who have left the Earth, especially since it’s such a small group of people. Due to historical barriers, it’s even smaller when considering only female astronauts - though that number is growing. So what differences have been observed between the male and female astronauts studied? Do they suffer from the same complications, or are the effects particular to sex? On this episode, James dives into a collection of studies highlighting the ways men’s and women’s physiologies react to the final frontier.
Questions or comments? Reach out to us:
You might also like these episodes!
- Episode 82 · Why do gray whales strand during solar storms?
- Episode 81 · What has InSight discovered on Mars?
- Episode 79 · Why do extragalactic “fast radio bursts” repeat
- Episode 73 · What's OSIRIS-REx doing at asteroid Bennu?
- Episode 70 · Does Europa actually have water plumes?
- Episode 69 · Why does Enceladus have "tiger stripes"?
- Episode 60 · Nobel Prize edition: what was the first exoplanet?
- Episode 59 · Is "Planet 9" actually a black hole?
- Episode 58 · How is the darkest black created?
- Episode 47 · How can you measure the expansion of the universe?
- Episode 42 · Did supernovae make us walk upright?
- Episode 39 · Are moonquakes reshaping the Moon?
- Episode 34 · How do you image a black hole?
- Episode 29 · Is Titan's organic atmosphere coming from its core?
- Episode 25 · How did the Curiosity rover weigh a mountain on Mars?
- Episode 19 · Does negative mass explain dark matter?
- Episode 15 · How hard was the Insight landing on Mars?
- Episode 13 · Is Oumuamua an alien spacecraft?
- Episode 9 · Can we terraform Mars?
- Episode 8 · Can you hear meteors?
- Episode 3 · Saturn is whistling to Enceladus
- Episode 2 · How to find water on Mars
- Episode 27 · Are female brains really 'more youthful'?