Cosmologists claim that all the matter we can see in the universe really only accounts for 5% of everything that’s out there - the other 95% is so-called “dark matter” and “dark energy.” Figuring out exactly what these are has puzzled scientists for decades, and troubling results have popped up time after time. Now, an Oxford physicist claims one theory could end up resolving all the missing pieces in cosmology. Charlie brings in a paper that could change physics just by changing the sign.
Grad Student Highlight: Andrew Makdisi discusses his research on geotechnical engineering!
Questions or comments? Reach out to us:
You might also like these episodes!
- Episode 79 · Why do extragalactic “fast radio bursts” repeat
- Episode 73 · What's OSIRIS-REx doing at asteroid Bennu?
- Episode 70 · Does Europa actually have water plumes?
- Episode 69 · Why does Enceladus have "tiger stripes"?
- Episode 60 · Nobel Prize edition: what was the first exoplanet?
- Episode 59 · Is "Planet 9" actually a black hole?
- Episode 55 · Can you find a supernova in Antarctic snow?
- Episode 42 · Did supernovae make us walk upright?
- Episode 34 · How do you image a black hole?
- Episode 13 · Is Oumuamua an alien spacecraft?
- Episode 85 · Why is Uranus losing its atmosphere?
- Episode 84 · Why do water balloons pop?
- Episode 75 · How fast is the world's fastest spin?
- Episode 90 · What’s inside a Martian meteorite?
- Episode 87 · Did Oumuamua come from a destroyed planet?
- Episode 82 · Why do gray whales strand during solar storms?
- Episode 81 · What has InSight discovered on Mars?
- Episode 58 · How is the darkest black created?
- Episode 47 · How can you measure the expansion of the universe?
- Episode 39 · Are moonquakes reshaping the Moon?
- Episode 32 · Does space affect male and female astronauts differently?
- Episode 29 · Is Titan's organic atmosphere coming from its core?
- Episode 25 · How did the Curiosity rover weigh a mountain on Mars?
- Episode 15 · How hard was the Insight landing on Mars?
- Episode 9 · Can we terraform Mars?
- Episode 8 · Can you hear meteors?
- Episode 3 · Saturn is whistling to Enceladus
- Episode 2 · How to find water on Mars