Brain-computer interfaces promise to change everything about our lives in the future, but are still in their early infancy technology-wise. However, you may be closer than you think to being able to talk without moving your mouth at all…James brings in a paper on converting brain waves to speech, and tests Charlie on his robot-listening comprehension while he’s at it.
Here’s a song by Kraftwerk using a vocoder.
And here is cool research from UC Berkeley that reconstructs images brain signals measured using fMRI.
Questions or comments? Reach out to us:
You might also like these episodes!
- Episode 50 · How is Neuralink hacking the brain?
- Episode 48 · Can your brain see into the future?
- Episode 30 · Why does pain hurt?
- Episode 27 · Are female brains really 'more youthful'?
- Episode 22 · Can an LED control your nervous system?
- Episode 14 · Is paralysis a thing of the past?
- Episode 11 · How many faces do you know?
- Episode 4 · Is pollution hurting your cognition?
- Episode 31 · Did F-words come from a change in diet?
- Episode 16 · Can you prove you're human in one word?