Daylight Savings Time gets a bad rap every year when it’s time to turn the clocks forward - it’s bad for your health, it’s bad for the economy…but DST has a friend no one warned you about: sunset time. Later sunsets mean later bedtimes, which leads to “social jetlag” - a desynchronization between your biological clock and your social obligations. Social jetlag could have a huge effect on your well-being and your wallet, so researchers decided to look at the perfect laboratory for comparing its effects. Right along time zone boundaries, neighboring counties experience sunset at completely different times. This week, Charlie brings in a paper where chronobiologists compare health and incomes on both sides of the time zone border, with some very alarming results.
Questions or comments? Reach out to us:
You might also like these episodes!
- Episode 57 · What’s the difference between vegetarians and meat-eaters?
- Episode 56 · Is intermittent fasting healthy?
- Episode 51 · Do you really need 10,000 steps a day?
- Episode 46 · Does caffeine make you burn fat?
- Episode 36 · Can you bring a dead brain back to life?
- Episode 33 · Are eggs really bad for you?