What happens when you give a scientist, obsessed with biblical death, near unlimited control over a utopian city of mice? Well…a lot of death, it turns out. In the 1960’s and 70’s, Dr. John Calhoun created what should have been a perfect mouse city - unlimited food, shelter, and water with no predators or inclement weather. Then he let nature run its course. Within a few years, the city was in ruins. Listen in as we dive into the research paper detailing exactly what happened to the mice in Universe 25, from meteoric rise to tragic demise.
Questions or comments? Reach out to us:
You might also like these episodes!
- Episode 89 · Is eating sugar a gut instinct?
- Episode 88 · What happened in the Stanford Prison Experiment? (Bonus episode)
- Episode 77 · How should you talk to babies?
- Episode 71 · Christmas Special: Why do we believe in Santa?
- Episode 61 · Can physical exertion lead to mental burnout?
- Episode 11 · How many faces do you know?
- Episode 5 · Can goats read your face?
- Episode 78 · Do penguins speak like humans?
- Episode 67 · How does hibernation work genetically?
- Episode 45 · Can seals learn to sing and talk?
- Episode 83 · How can we suppress COVID-19?
- Episode 74 · Does tongue fat cause sleep apnea?
- Episode 68 · Is eating healthier better for the planet?
- Episode 57 · What’s the difference between vegetarians and meat-eaters?
- Episode 56 · Is intermittent fasting healthy?
- Episode 51 · Do you really need 10,000 steps a day?
- Episode 46 · Does caffeine make you burn fat?
- Episode 37 · Is there a wrong side of the time zone?
- Episode 36 · Can you bring a dead brain back to life?